samedi 15 janvier 2011

Squeak

Mice. Is anyone else having a problem with mice this year? They seem to be everywhere, making a take over bid for domination in my house. I opened my underwear drawer this morning, only to find a mouse happily snoozing among my frillies. The other day, I grabbed an old dressing gown to sling on after my bath, and settled down to work at the computer. After quite some time, and I mean, quite some time, I felt something move on my back...thinking it was a spider I slung the dressing gown to the floor and watched in amazement as a mouse shot out! I don't know who was more shocked, the mouse or I!
Now, the dilemma is this. I know I can't really share my home with thousands of mice. It's unhygenic, for one thing, and for another, the litttle blighters are eating the wires inside the electrical appliances which is a fire risk as well as not really good for the intended function of the appliances. But...they are so damned cute! (If only they didn't poo...) I deplore killing things at the best of times, preferring to rescue drowning spiders from the swimming pool than watch them struggle, so with something as utterly adorable as a mouse, I am a lost cause. The cats...all four of them, should really be doing the job out of sight, I suppose...but the cats have now seen so many mice that they are, frankly, bored. They look up as one scurries by, and calmly mutter;
'Oh, another mouse. Heigh ho.'
Traps are out, as they so often don't kill immediately, which I just couldn't bear, poison is no good on a number of counts, not least the cruelty angle or that the other animals could accidentally ingest some. I have tried the humane traps, but the mice either make their excuses and leave somehow having enjoyed the food, or return with the new mates they have met in the surrounding fields where I have emptied the traps. ('Hey, lads, we know a great hotel...' You get the picture?) I have also tried those little machines that emit a noise mice are supposed to abhor...but having seen a small group partying merrily on top of the very machine one evening, I have lost faith. I think they saw it as a mouse disco...music provided.
Is there another option? Does anyone have a number for the Pied Piper? Or, maybe, Derren Brown could brainwash them into leaving? Suggestions on a postcard please....

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire