dimanche 23 janvier 2011

Rant. Customer service, SFR? Vous ne comprenez pas les mots?

It seems that, much as we love so many things about this life in France, the standard of customer service in many companies is not among them.
Since experiencing problems with mobile phone company SFR, I have heard of many similar incidents, and so, rather than being very British and keeping quiet about it all, Iam going to have a cathartic rant.
Over five months ago, when my daughter moved back to the UK to study, we were told by SFR that we could stop her mobile phone contract without fee, as the contract allows for this if you move abroad. Dutifully, we sent recorded delivery letters requesting this, and including signed, stamped and dated certificates of her studies and her apartment. We received a letter in reply, requesting us to send ...a certificate of her studies and a certificate of her apartment rental agreement. We sent them again..though by this time the next lot of fees for the phone had been taken from the account. This time we received no response. We wrote again, no response. Again...and lo and behold, a reply! This time they wanted the same certificates again, PLUS a certificate to state she is in the military...(she is NOT) and a certificate to say she is in full time EMPLOYMENT in the UK. What???? They already have proof she is a full time STUDENT...quite how she is supposed to find time to also be in the military and full time employment is beyond me.
The story continues, in much the same vein, except that we have had no further responses at all. At one point, in desperation, I even asked them to stop the contract and just charge me the fee for stopping it early...it would have been massively cheaper in the end! However, this too, was ignored. My son spent some 4 hours on the telephone to SFR, and was told to fax all the dossier to them...claiming not to have received any of my previous communications despite having answered some of them and my having the signed receipt slips from La Poste. We sent the fax (cost 20 euros) and called SFR three days later to ensure it had been received. It had, and we were assured of an answer within days. NOTHING . Nothing received at all in the way of any answer. The only activity we could be sure of was the relentless removing of 52 euros from my bank account each month for the use of the phone that has not been used for nearly 6 months now. I am now some 300 euros poorer than I should be, thanks, I believe, to the wilful incompetence of this company. I could have been persuaded, at the beginning, that my own deficiencies in the French language could have caused some of the problems, but the fact that over and over they have simply IGNORED my correspondance points to something else. I am also now aware that I am by no means the only person to receive this sort of treatment.
Now, if this is what SFR call customer service, I am beginning to question my own understanding of the words. I now have an appointment with UFC, who I believe take on such cases with a good level of success. I have informed SFR of this move, and we will see what happens.
Watch this space.

5 commentaires:

  1. Good luck with that! You have my sympathies. I remember my own (trivial compared to yours) struggles with the very same company.
    Customer-service is not a French word, *%&%** is!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. French customer service is an oxymoron.

    Joanna, time to get on to AFOC or Que Choisir, I think, before these people steal any more of your cash.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I have emailed SFR today to inform them of my appointment with UFC. Fingers crossed! This does get one down....

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Well, no response as yet...c'est normale...

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Still ongoing. Seven months on, I have now been able to cancel the contract, but only because it had run its course. No sign of ANY cash back, or any answer to my demand for action other than another duplicate letter stating that I have to send them all the certificates I have ALREADY SENT THEM MULTIPLE TIMES!
    The very sweet lady in the SFR shop said it is not within her remit to do anything (of course...)BUT gave me an address for complaints. So, are now trying this... though she also said it is not SFR's policy to refund cash...(how did I guess this might be the case?)BUT they MIGHT take the money off future bills. If they do this...(don't hold out much hope) it would mean my cheaper contract will cost me nothing for about a year. If it ever DOES get resolved I will crack the champagne.

    RépondreSupprimer