mardi 26 avril 2011

Chosen, by Jerry Ibbotson. Review.


Chosen, by Jerry Ibbotson, is simply one of the most compelling books I have read this year. When I first read the blurb, I wasn't sure it would be for me, but decided to give it a go, and I am so glad I did, because I have found a new author whose voice is definitely worth hearing.
I read the book on my computer in Kindle form (although it is also available in paperback)and I simply could not move away from my computer until I had devoured the last word. Ibbotson seamlessly weaves fantasy, spirituality, thrilling adventure and the mundane into a tale that takes the reader by the hand into a whole new world and refuses to let go. The writing style is fairly simplistic yet intelligent and vivid,the characters believable and the plot both complex and easy to follow, which is quite a feat! The moral/spiritual elements of the book are so well done that they are never 'in your face' or hard to swallow, and are uplifting in the manner of Richard Bach rather than pushing religion.The message that 'love conquers all' is the essence of the tale, but the tension is as gripping and the adventures are as exciting as in any thriller I have read.
I would like to echo the comments by other reviewers in that this book will not just appeal to fantasy fans, or fans of morality tales, or any single genre. Anyone who wants to read an utterly compelling novel will love Chosen.
I found myself thinking about the book long after finishing the final word, and, having read the taster chapters on his website of his new novel, The Veil, (http://www.jerryibbotson.co.uk/the-veil/)I will certainly be buying the next book by Mr. Ibbotson.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire